How Do You Read and Blog Award

How do you read?






Diana Gabaldon recently wrote a blog post on this topic. "I get frequent questions—from readers and interviewers—asking me whether I read. My initial response is always, 'What, are you crazy?', but I usually suppress this in favor of something more politic, like, 'How can anybody not read?'"

Hear hear!

She goes on to answer the question of how she reads, as - apparently - there are people out there who can't fit reading into their lives. I wonder how they even avoid reading? There's always something out there to scan, peruse, skim, devour... My comment to her post was:

I pretty much read all the time everywhere. How can one not have a book to hand? People always comment on the fact that I read while walking – mianly to and from the train station – but why not? It's ten minutes each way! I've tried writing while walking, but haven't perfected that yet... Especially in waiting rooms or at the post office – how can one simply sit there for 40 minutes or more?
Related to this is the question of rereads – I reread a lot of my favourite books (lots of young adult books from my childhood, The Lord of the Rings, Agatha Christie, Outlander [g]...), but not everyone seems to do this.

Then, in reply to Marte Brengle's comment, I added:

Eye hunger – yes! That's what I've got. Why else would I read the backs of cereal boxes, advisories at train stations, fine print at the bottom of the screen during cheeseball drug ads...


Lately, I've been worse than usual, as evidenced by my books I'm reading list below - I keep starting books and dropping others. I've got to buckle down at some point and finish them all.

Meanwhile, I've been working steadily on my Round of Words in 80 Days goals - completed my synopsis, overhauled the first five pages (again!) and am still plugging away at fixing and finalising Rosa and her love's first night together. I've also got a guest post coming up tomorrow on The Turkish Muse!

Thank you Trisha for this shiny award!


I'll pass it on to... I'd like to pass it on to everyone! But just for fun, here are a few names:

Glynis
Liz
Jenny
Talli
India
Carolyn
Sarah

Comments

Laura said…
I'm with you, I couldn't be without a book! Everywhere and anywhere is where I read!

I also re-read. I have my yearly favourites!

CONGRATS on the award!
Lx
CathrynLouis said…
Great progress on your goals - and congrats on your award. A writer not reading? Crazy question... ;)
Talli Roland said…
Oh, yay! Thanks so much, Deniz. :)

I HAVE to read, as well. I get stressed at thought of not having a book to hand!
Jill W. said…
I admit. I don't read a whole lot, and I used to read a ton. It's not for lack of desire -- just for lack of time. I've got a list of books that's piling up for the summer and I'm BESIDE myself waiting to get to them.

Kindle has helped a lot.

I know, I know, reading more would a) enrich my writing, b) enrich my life, and c) enrich me. I'm trying. [g]
Jill W. said…
PS, I totally want to hear what you think of Jane Eyre once you finish. It's a fave of mine. :D
Kate said…
This sounds like me. I always bring a book with me wherever I go, because I know I'm going to need it at some point, if I don't.
Luckily, I have an iPhone for easy storage. hahaha
I used to read and walk, but now I push a stroller, so it's not as easy.
I reread EVERYTHING, especially my favorites. I'm definitely eye hungry.
Good luck with your goals!!
Sarah McCabe said…
Thanks, Deniz!

I'm a voracious reader as well. I MUST have a book with me wherever I go which is why I love my new kindle so much. I can carry so many books around now! We even read at the dinner table and the kindle is much easier to prop up. I reread certain favorite books a lot. Dune is my typical go to book when I'm between other things.
Congratulations on your award.

I used to read less than I ever did when my kids were small. Once I started writing, I realized I had to make more time. In the last year, I've pushed myself even more. I have an audio book in the car, one in the bathroom for teeth-brushing, one in my pocketbook for everywhere, and one near my bed for a quick bit before bed.

Happy reading!
Nas said…
Congratulations on your award and congrats to the Blogs you passing it onto!

I'm also reading everything I can get into my hands...and yes, the back strip of youknowhat with strange but true information on it!
Mary Mary said…
I agree -- how can one not read! I will admit that I'm not a rereader, thus why I hate to buy books and would rather beg, steal, or borrow. I'm the same with movies, so go figure!
Denise Covey said…
Hi Deniz. Congrats on your award and for passing it on. Yeah, how could anyone not read? I've read over 50 books this year as part of the 100+ challenge.

Can't get that picture of you trying to write as you walk from the train station. Go you!

Denise<3
There is always a book in my handbag. Usually a hardback, which makes the thing quite heavy at times!! But we have to have a book, don't we?!?
Trisha said…
You're welcome!! :)
Naina Gupta said…
I love to read, and question anyone who doesn't, there is a book out there for anyone. I read mostly on the train. It's a lot more interesting than sitting and looking bored on the train.
Claire Farrell said…
I read that blog post too and had a similar reaction. I'm especially baffled by writers who never read. My OH doesn't read at all, so I have first hand accounts of that odd non-reading species. ;)

It's been a while since I walked outside while reading though! My Kindle comes everywhere with me these days, I love carrying around ALL of my books together.
Anonymous said…
I read just as much as I write, probably more. Not read?? Impossible.

Congrats on the award! And you are so kind for paying it forward! :-)
Claudia Lefeve said…
I thank Amazon everyday for my Kindle. I am always reading...while I wait for take-out food, stuck in traffic, during lunch, when I eat dinner (luckily my hubby is watching JAG or something) etc. And if I forget my Kindle (gasp!) I have my blackberry that has both Kindle and Nook apps!
Susan Fields said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan Fields said…
Congrats on your award! There are so many books I want to read, I have a hard time sticking to the one I've started. I have to make myself though, or I'd never finish anything.
Anonymous said…
Congrats on the award.

I read everywhere. It's especially easy with apps on my phone.
Deniz Bevan said…
Thank you Laura! I love rereading :-)

Thanks Cathryn and Talli!

I know how you feel Jill - I keep starting new books when I really ought to finish the ones I've already begun. Never mind the fact that I've gotta stop acquiring new ones!!
Quite enjoying Jane Eyre so far though - I really like her.

Yay for reading and walking, Kate!

I'm thinking it's high time I got a Kindle, Sarah - I could fit so many books on there!

*giggle* you should see my bedside Theresa...

Thanks Nas!

My life would be simpler if I didn't keep acquiring books, Mary - borrowing is definitely a good way to read!

Thanks Denise!

We certainly do, Pamela [g]

Thanks again Trisha :-)
Deniz Bevan said…
I'm with you, Naina - I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't read (or write!) on the train.

Ooh, it'd be great to have all my books in one place, Claire. Must... get... Kindle...

Thanks Liz!

I agree, Claudia - I can't not read at any moment of the day!

Thank you Susan and Medeia!
KM Nalle said…
My husband doesn't read unless absolutely necessary (like email and text messages). That's it. I'm carrying around a book everywhere. If I have to spend 2 minutes waiting for anything, I'm reading a blog, a book or something useful.
Deniz Bevan said…
I'm like you Kari!