30 Things I Want To Do, Coda

Exactly two years ago I posted a list of 30 Things I Want To Do.

I thought it might be fun to revisit the list and see if I've done any of those things or if I even still want to do some of the items...

1. Find an agent for my novels! [this is still top of the list!]

2. Pick out and decorate a real Christmas tree [hmm... Talli Roland picked out a real tree this year! But not me...]

3. Visit all 50 states (15 down, 35 to go) [27 to go! I've seen 8 new States in the past two years]

4. Drive from London to Istanbul (taking the Dover-Calais ferry, not the Chunnel, natch) [definitely still on the list, this one]

5. Actually finish reading all the books I own (see 180 list below) [I'm working on it, I swear!]

6. Have a proper English library [yea, this will take some time]

7. Spend some time being a boat and fishing person [someday...]

8. Snowshoe [someday soon?]

9. Travel more in Europe. Actually use all the German and Welsh and Swedish and Russian and Spanish I've learned [this might be on the agenda for this coming spring]

10. Ride on a fast horse [anyone own a ranch?]

11. Practice archery [or a bow and arrow?]

12. Play more golf [you'd think this would be easy to do]

13. Milk a cow, make yogurt, churn butter, that sort of thing [anyone own a farm?]

14. See The Divine Comedy and Gyllene Tider and Runrig in concert [I wish!]

15. Attend the Surrey International Writers' Conference [this is a tentative plan for this year, since it's the 20th anniversary of the conference]

16. Stay at the Algonquin Hotel, NYC [especially now that Matilda needs more kindness!]

17. Watch more old movies from the 50s and earlier [hmm...]

18. Get a Master's Degree and write my thesis on Tolkien [ah yes. Still a goal.]

19. Subscribe to the NME or Q or Mojo or the New York Times [only if the price goes down]

20. Use my CrockPot and juicer [juicer yes, crock pot fail]

21. Grow a garden [not with my black thumb!]

22. Complete my state coins collection (only missing Texas, California, Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota, Washington and Alaska!) [I've got Minnesota and South Dakota now!]

23. Ski [this is never going to happen. No one ever wants to go cross-country skiing with me]

24. Learn how to cure olives and attend an olive pressing (for oil) [anyone own an olive farm?]

25. Read more books in different languages [see number five]

26. Attend Festival in the Shire in Machynlleth! [unfortunately we might visit the UK in spring and the festival's in August!]

27. Visit Saint Catherine's monastery at Mount Sinai and Sumela monastery at Trabzon [someday...]

28. Watch a cat give birth (or another animal) in real life and not on YouTube [see number thirteen]

29. Visit Patagonia and Antarctica and Australia and other far places [see number nineteen]

30. Really learn how to crochet and spin [I'm trying!]

What's on your list?

Comments

Misha Gerrick said…
Ooh... I actually don't have a list, but maybe I should make one.

Favoriting this page so that I can get onto it. Will even send a link if it's done. ;-)
Colleen said…
Great list! I have some overlap--#1, #10, #13, #21, #25, oddly enough--#28 (I specified watching a horse give birth, but yeah, another animal would do too!), and #29!

My travel-related goals are different since I'm in South America, so mainly looking to explore around here. I did always think, when I was in the US, that I ought to visit more states--most everything between the coasts remains in the realm of myth for me.
Zan Marie said…
Nice list, Deniz!
We have a list of 30 U.S. cities we want to vist and if we every to back to Europe, we want to spend two weeks in Paris. I need to brush up on my French, don't you think? ; )
Ann said…
Your list has encouraged me to make one!! I think you did great. All you need to do is revise the list and let the year begin!
Golden Eagle said…
That's an awesome list! :)

Why is it so hard to find state coins? Sigh. I've needed Washington for over a year . . . LOL.

Happy New Year!
Trisha said…
Fabulous list Deniz, I think the only one of those I've done (aside from travel Europe...but yours was "travel more in Europe", which I haven't done lately :D) is snowshoe! Pretty sure I watched a cat give birth at one point though, come to think of it.
Anonymous said…
1. Have fun.
2. Pay off all debt.
3. Finish draft one of current WIP by January 31, 2012.
4. Finish draft one of second WIP by December 31, 2012.
5. Don't cry when The Girl starts Kindergarten.

That's all I need.
Nas said…
Nice list, Denise. I want to try that London to Istanbul route now.

Happy New Year!
Kate said…
That is a very interesting list! First, good luck on finding an agent. I hear it's pretty hard, but I'm sure if you work at it, you'll succeed!

Second, if you suck at gardening, I have one word for you: radishes! You can't kill them, they grow really fast and even black thumbs can impress themselves.

Third, WOMAN HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE USED YOUR CROCKPOT?!?!?! They are GENIUS! I use mine for EVERYTHING, including making jam and applesauce for canning. Here is a foolproof recipe to use in it: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/11/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts.html

Yum!
ferries said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deniz Bevan said…
I'd love to see your list, Misha!

Neat, Colleen - you come up to Montreal, and I'll go down to South America!

Bien sur, Zan Marie [g]

I know, Michael, I know. No wonder I've barely gotten to any of it!

Thanks Ann and Eagle! Happy new year!

My uncle has snowshoes, actually, Trisha. I ought to get down to Washington before all the snow melts...

Sounds good, Joshua! But hey, I didn't even begin to include writing goals in this list. Er, well, except for #1...

Happy new year, Nas!

Wow, thanks so much for the recipe link Kate! I'm on it, I swear. Even have my slow cooker recipe book out on the counter. Radishes, really? I'll try it!