Award!, Vacations, Afghanistan, Charles II, and Ditties from Grade School

Jamie at Mithril Wisdom, who - like me - still plays with LEGO, tagged me with an award!

"Thank the person who gave you this award and link back to their blog.
Next, select 15 blogs/bloggers that you've recently discovered or follow regularly.
Nominate those 15 bloggers for the Versatile Blogger Award
Finally, tell the person who nominated you 7 things about yourself."

1. My cousin, Fabrice Nadjari, and his friend, recently filmed a documentary - and more - in the Wakhan Corridor, Afghanistan.

2. I've got a trip to England and Scotland and Wales coming up! So much to see and do.

3. I'm still keeping an eye on the Decorah eagles cam. Eagle chicks!

4. Recently, I spent a weekend up north. It looked like this:


5. I'm not normally into zombie stories (with the exception of Lord John and the Plague of Zombies) but I've been reading World War Z by Max Brooks, and I can't put it down. Finally, an apocalyptic story that acknowledges the rest of the planet and how interconnected every country in the world is.

6. On another weekend, I went to the Westmount Antiquarian Book Fair. Among five shilling books about bathrooms


and guidance on book care


there was a law passed by King Charles II.


I got to touch it. Actual paper from the 17th Century that Charles II had touched. If I had squeeed out loud, I think the hills would still be echoing.

7. All Things Boys had a post recently featuring a ditty she remembered from camp. I've got two that have been stuck in my head since grade school:

(cross your legs and arms, and sing)
I am slowly going crazy
1 2 3 4 5 6 switch!
(switch positions by crossing your legs and arms the other way, and sing)
crazy going slowly am I
6 5 4 3 2 1 switch
(switch positions again)
(keep singing, faster and faster each time)

The second one goes like this: 1 2 3 4 5 / Once I caught a fish alive / why did you let him go? / because he bit my finger so / which finger did he bite? / the little finger on the right

Funny how these things stick with you. What kids' songs do you remember?
I'm tagging all of you on the award!

Comments

Unknown said…
These are great! I know what you mean about touching actual paper from the 17th century. We have the Newberry Library here in Chicago and they have a collection of illuminated texts done by monks way back in the Middle Ages. You can check them out in their special vault and while you must have gloves and a mask, you can read them. It's fascinating.

I remember singing Miss Mary Black, All Dressed In Black when I was a kid. And doing the whole hand clap thing right along with it.
S.P. Bowers said…
I remember a children's song about frogs. I won't write it all out for you here but we loved it. I never won though.

I'm squeeing along with you on the 17th century paper. Just imagining it gives me bubbles of excitement in my tummy.
Shelley Sly said…
Nice to learn these interesting facts about you, and I love those kids' songs. I don't remember too many from when I was young, but I used to work with kindergarten, so I learned a lot of new ones as an adult. :)
Carol Riggs said…
Congrats on your award. And oooh!!--England, Scotland and Wales. How fun. Enjoy!! WORLD WAR Z is a great title. :)

Hmm, kids' songs? We used to sing some in girl scouts when I was young. Like this one about the cleaner Comet (sung to a patriotic-sounding tune):

Comet--it makes your teeth turn green. Comet--it tastes like gasoline. Comet--it makes you vomit! So go out and buy some, and try some, today. :o)
Denise Covey said…
Isn't it delightful seeing old texts. I've seen a few in my travels and it is such an experience.

I'd love to see the Afghanistan dodo seeing my current WIP is set in Kabul!

Denise
DL Hammons said…
Congrats on your blog bling! So well deserved!! :)
Deniz Bevan said…
Ooh, I'd love to see those manuscripts, Melissa! Maybe next time I'm in London and can go to the British Library... I remember Miss Mary Mack!

Aww, I don't remember one about frogs, Sara! Can you find an online version?

Thanks so much for coming by, Shelley!

Oh, Carol! That must be wear The Simpsons' got the idea from - there's an old episode with Bart singing that about Lisa: "Lisa, her teeth are big and green! Lisa, she smells like gasoline..."

Wow, Denise, that's really interesting! The only thing I know about Afghanistan (besides current events) comes from reading the first of the Flashman books...

Aww, thanks DL!
Anonymous said…
I love the look, feel, and smell of old books. I don't think I've touched any from the 17th century, though.

I have some children tunes stuck in my head, but not the lyrics.

Congrats on the award.
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks, Medeia!