D is for... Don't Panic

Dis for Don't Panic!

There's A Lot to be done when moving. Tiny niggling tasks, and tasks that you'll have to rely on others for, making you impatient. Keeping lists helps - especially because unlike Real Life or maybe even writing, most of the items on your moving list will get done, even if you have to lose a bit of sleep. They have to get done or the move will never happen!

Other things fall by the wayside, though, and that's where I really had to tell myself Don't Panic! I worried about falling behind on the Forum, on blog comments, on the Wallace Correspondence Project, and basically everything that didn't have something to do with The Move and Selling the House. Even reading! Which is hard to imagine for me. I was halfway through 11 Doctors 11 Stories and meant to finish it (last story is by Neil Gaiman!) so I could put it into storage and not pack it to bring with us (have you seen the size of that book?!), but I simply had no time.

It helps to keep a sense of humour, though. Here's me smoking a paper pipe at a party!

Comments

Stephanie Faris said…
I found it was best to treat moving like a vacation--tell everyone it's happening and disappear for a few days. People understand it when you're on vacation or sick, right? Moving gives you an excuse to vanish off the internet radar for a few days!
Anonymous said…
enjoyed your post! Happy A 2 Z 2 U! Good luck on the queries!
Unknown said…
Life will slowly return to normal again (or so I'm told--still waiting for it to happen, myself)
Hi Deniz .. there must have been masses to do - I'd forgotten you were involved in the Wallace Collection project .. his Museum here in London is amazing and I really need to go and have another look around ..

Cheers and all the very best - Hilary
You'll be able to pick back up on those things later. No panic!
Mary Purpari said…
Ah yes, moving... Not fun. When I moved from Italy to America, I took a backpack weighing 15 pounds and a suitcase weighing thirty-five. What to leave, what to take. I agonized for a month, and then packed 2 hours before I had to be at the airport. What a mess!

http://www.blogspot.musings
Deniz Bevan said…
That's a great idea, Stephanie!
Probably for the best, Mary - the less time we dither, the less we take, which works out better in the long run.

Thanks for coming by everyone!