V is for Mandalas by Wendy Piersall

V is for very many colours!

For this year's A to Z I'm featuring books I've read based on the Reading Challenge.

Today's book is a book with a colour in the title. I've been reading a few Usborne touchy-feely books in the past year, which are full of colours:

The colours, children!

Mainly, though, I'm reposting part of a recent book review blogpost. But I'd like to insert a brief note here with regard to the 100th anniversary of ANZAC day, today. In 1934, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk delivered the following words to the first Australians, New Zealanders and British to visit the Gallipoli battlefields in Turkey:

"Those heroes that shed their blood
And lost their lives.
You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.
Therefore rest in peace.
There is no difference between the Johnnies
And the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side
Here in this country of ours.
You, the mothers,
Who sent their sons from far away countries
Wipe away your tears,
Your sons are now lying in our bosom
And are in peace
After having lost their lives on this land they have
Become our sons as well."

And now, the letter
V





and very many colours:
Look, a colouring book!

"From the Sanskrit word for "circle," mandalas have been used for meditation and healing for thousands of years.
"Coloring Animal Mandalas" adds the beauty of the animal kingdom—including butterflies, tigers, swans, snakes, peacocks, seahorses and even unicorns—into these intricate designs for page after page of coloring book bliss.
As you transform the detailed shapes in this book into stunning works of art, you'll find yourself relaxing, focused, reaching a higher state of mindfulness and simply enjoying yourself."

Here are a couple of sample pages, both coloured and in black and white:





It might be a fan-of-Tolkien thing (he drew lots of friezes and sigils and emblems that I find very attractive) but I've always enjoyed colouring in patterns and shapes, and even drawn a few geometric repeating patterns of my own (usually when in class...).

There's lots of enjoyment to be had in this book if you're also a fan of that sort of thing. Just looking at the images gets my fingers itching to pick up coloured pencils!

And there's even a time lapse video showing a colouring-in.

Which books on colour have you enjoyed?

Comments

Hi Deniz - those words by Ataturk are very powerful ...

The Very many colours ... you are in vogue, my dear!! Colouring by adults is all the rage ... and as you say it is found to be very therapeutic .. and perhaps I can see that.

However I love the look of the colouring book you've chosen to highlight .. Colouring Animals by Mandalas .. wonderful .. and quite delightful .. cheers Hilary
It would be like coloring a kaleidoscope.
Anonymous said…
Those are beautiful and so intricate. I don't think I'd have the patience to color them.

Sorry to have been gone so long from blogging/commenting, but it's good to "see" you again!

-Vicki
Deniz Bevan said…
I love colouring with coloured pencils. Sometimes it kept me awake during a boring class!
Don't apologise, Vicki! I'm so behind in comments I wonder if I'll ever catch up. Got a list of 50 or so...