Story Playlist!

Playlist!

It occurs to me that I haven't shared a story playlist in a while.

Usually, my playlists are directly related to songs that my characters are listening to or love.

This collection, for The Charm of Time and A Handful of Time, is a bit different, as it's mainly songs that remind me of what's going on in the story, and some of the emotional arcs that need to be resolved. Although the second song is one of Christianne's favourites, and Rory is a grunge rock fan...

Hope you like them!



The Smiths, Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want



Roxette, The Heart-Shaped Sea



Neil Finn, Second Nature (the song from his new album, Out of Silence, that most reminds me of Rory and Christianne is Love Is Emotional, but that one's not available on YouTube)



Whisky Trench Riders, Some Memories Don't Fade



Alice in Chains, Would?


Alice in Chains, Jar of Flies (album)



The Carter Family, The Storms on the Ocean



Runrig, Faileas Air An Airigh


Yes, this means that NaNoWriMo is in full swing (hello, ROW80 update). I still feel like I'm spinning my wheels most days on the story, since I write snips here and there and I'm not sure if I'm capturing enough action rather than chit chat and emotional highs. I think many of the scenes are locking into place, though. Then the editing will begin...


Good luck to those of you doing NaNo or working on other projects!

Which songs provide you inspiration?

Comments

Some Alice in Chains - nice!
I usually play some hard and fast prog rock when I'm writing.
Deniz Bevan said…
Good choice, Alex! I was going to add some prog rock, too!
Hi Deniz - I'm afraid ... love music ... yet know so little - so your play lists are fun to have and I can access them when I feel like it. I can't write if something else is going on ... sometimes I get on with it - but I'm not good concentrating unless I'm in relative silence ... cheers Hilary
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the playlists - I like Roxette.
I usually just run Spotify in the background, with a selection of quiet and sultry jazz singers. Mellow, but not distracting.
Anonymous said…
I tend to sing when I hear music...and that gets in the way of writing. So, while I have music I find inspirational (anything by Paul Simon, and, hello, Hamilton!), I tend to listen at other times than when I'm driving.

Cool to see The Carter Family on your playlist. I was raised on country music; Johnny and June Carter Cash were my first concert, when I was 11.
I love seeing how other people "process" when they need to focus on a project like NaNoWriMo. Writing, especially, is such a personal thing. Thanks for sharing some of it with us, Deniz. I'll have to spend a bit of time with these later when I'm not focusing myself... I do love learning about new music.
Good luck with Nano! And I don't think you necessarily have to worry too much about whether certain aspects of the story work at this point; as you said, you can always go back and fix it later, and the point right now is just to complete a rough draft at least.
sage said…
Interesting mix and good luck with the writing
Interesting list. All the best with the writing!
Deniz Bevan said…
I've got another song: Rory Rides Me Raw by the Vaselines (link is to a recent live acoustic version that they recorded at a Seattle radio station)

Deniz Bevan said…
Now on YouTube, with many more songs added!
Deniz Bevan said…
Glad you all liked it!